Sunday, March 3, 2013

Yes, and?

(I'm having trouble starting my dissertation writing today, so I thought I'd start with a blog post instead.)

I have a confession (finally, right?).  I used to be one of those math people that would answer this question:
"But can you use it for anything practical?"
like this:
"I hope not!"

But about a year ago I decided I would start using improv comedy techniques while teaching.  You know, instead of shooting down an idea that doesn't go anywhere, I'd say, "Yes, let's try that, and let's see where it goes."  Whoa.  It really changed the classroom dynamic.  But you can google "improv and teaching" and read lots more about that.  What I noticed is that not long after taking that approach to the classroom, I started to think about my research in the same way.

So when I started hearing about algebraic statistics, instead of being all, "Why would you want to use pure, beautiful, lovely algebra for gross, icky statistics?" I was, "Yes! And I want to do that too!"

Now, I've heard that if you have a serious goal, you should make it public so you are shamed if you don't follow through.  So here goes: within the next year, I want to start work on a project that involves applied algebra.

Keep me honest, folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment