Monday, February 18, 2013

Six years!

It's really hard to wrap my mind around the fact that I've been here at UNL for almost six years now. I've been getting a little nostalgic as my defense date and subsequent graduation gets closer and closer... Today, I'm dealing with this overload of emotions by cleaning my desk and tending to my poor Pothos plant (which I have nearly killed at least once a year).

The plant was an impulse buy during my first year, and it has survived admirably even under great duress.  I used to say that if I could keep this plant alive, I would make it through graduate school.  So far, so good.  I'm even considering starting some cuttings for some of my friends who aren't making graduating this year (but after I defend; I don't want to jinx anything by accidentally killing my plant after all).

Some of the interesting detritus on my desk right now is getting put into a "scan and toss" pile so that I can keep the happy notes, cartoons, and reminders from my friends without all the clutter.

As hard as it will be to say goodbye to Avery Hall, I'm excited to be moving on to a single-occupancy office where I can spread out my books, throw banana peels in the garbage (our office voted against this practice), and get a 20 minute catnap after lunch without having to check for office hours.  Oh, and my Pothos plant, Matsumura, will enjoy having room to spread out!  Because, you know, as long as I can keep this plant alive, I'm going to make it to tenure...

No comments:

Post a Comment