Friday, December 19, 2008

Math 101 - Literally!

I just turned in my semester grades for my classes this semester. This was my first time teaching College Algebra, and I have a few notes for myself for the future. I'll share some of them with you, too.

I find it helpful to tell my students that it's us versus them; my job is to present the material, help them understand it, and generally prepare them to pass the final. In a class like this, with 29 sections and 700 students, it's actually easy to make this claim. It's even easier when the final counts for 25% of their grade. I think it helps them feel like they can come to me for help, and I can suggest things like tutoring or visiting the resource center without invoking a confrontational position.

Extra-credit is a slippery slope. I want to adjust the scales if I've written a bad exam, but I don't want to fuel the sense of entitlement that many students have. A point here and there throughout the semester is fine, but I want to avoid inflating grades. When writing word problems, it helps to make them relevant. It's also more entertaining to grade an open-ended question with a "free" point for an answer. Plus, it helps make students seem like individuals when they have a chance to relate a joke or an anecdote.

I have failed to effectively communicate that although effort can help a student achieve a grade, grades are ultimately assigned based on mastery of the material. Studying doesn't mean much unless it's effective studying. I think many "mathphobic" students try to study, but they haven't learned how to study for a math course. I would like to try to address this in all future courses that I teach. I will probably distribute this material as a mini-lecture and a handout.

These are just a few of my reflections on this semester. I am curious to read my evaluations from my students!

No comments:

Post a Comment